Re: [monit] Monit reporting wrong disk usage on OpenBSD

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit reporting wrong disk usage on OpenBSD
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:02:25 +0100

You should use the mountpoint of the filesystem instead of the device ... the problem is, that when the block device is used, some operating systems report the usage of the filesystem where the "block device" special file (e.g. /dev/raidg0) is stored, not the usage of the filesystem which is stored on the device (e.g. /home).

So for example use:

--8<--
  check device fshome with path /home
--8<--

Martin

Jake Conk wrote:
Hello,

First a little background, I'm using the latest monit at this time
monit 4.10.1 (compiled, not by package) and I'm running OpenBSD 4.1. I
cofigured all my disk partitions to be monitored with monit however
when I looked at the web interface for details I got this for disk
usage on ALL my disks, "35.1% [29.7 MB]" and for inode usage I got
"25.6% [3283 objects]".

Here is my service configuration for each device:

# Monitor home(/home) filesystem
check device fshome with path /dev/raid0g
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems
# Monitor root(/) filesystem
check device fsroot with path /dev/raid0a
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems
# Monitor tmp(/tmp) filesystem
check device fstmp with path /raid0e
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems
# Monitor usr(/usr) filesystem
check device fsusr with path /dev/raid0d
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems
# Monitor var(/var) filesystem
check device fsvar with path /dev/raid0f
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems

I then thought the problem might be because doing a software raid 1
with OpenBSD and maybe monit can't properly read a software raid1 disk
so I created a service check for an actual device on my system:

# Monitor sd0b(/xx) filesystem
check device fstest with path /dev/sd0b
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid operator then unmonitor
        if space usage > 80 % then alert
        if inode usage > 80 % then alert
        group filesystems

Magically that reported the same results as all my raid file systems.

Has anyone else reported the same problems on OpenBSD and is there a fix?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
- Jake