Re: Monit ignoring Memory amount limit

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Monit ignoring Memory amount limit
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 04:31:23 +0200

On 2. okt. 2007, at 23.43, William Cotton wrote:

You know what, monit IS taking care of it! What I should do now is change the amount of time in between checks, from 180 seconds to something like 60 or 30...

Or you could change the number of cycle in the test if that is easier. For example,

if totalmem is greater than 150.0 MB for 2 cycles then restart

or just skip cycles and write

if totalmem is greater than 150.0 MB then restart

I guess I'm surprised to find out that in the 15 minutes between 5 cycles, that a single mongrel process can balloon so quickly...

Not sure, but if mongrel memory map files it could blow up fast and use a lot of memory, but equally fast deflate when files are unmapped. If this is the case it is probably a good idea to monitor over a few cycles before trying a restart. Of course if it never deflates...