Re: Monit ignoring Memory amount limit

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Monit ignoring Memory amount limit
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:11:43 +0200

Try to enable monit verbose mode (using -v option) and check logs ... it logs/reports the memory usage for each cycle. How does your monit configuration describe the mongrel processes? Is the process with the 700MB usage related to the monitored parent? (the one with pidfile matching the monit configuration).

Martin

On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:15 PM, William Cotton wrote:

Yeah, they are definitely staying above the limit, growing to some obscene sizes as well... I've seen one mongrel process get over a 700MB!

On 10/2/07, Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> wrote: On 2. okt. 2007, at 19.09, William Cotton wrote:

> I am monitoring a bunch of mongrel processes, including in their
> monit configuration:
>
> if totalmem is greater than 150.0 MB for 5 cycles then restart
>
> which, when I check on it's status, shows:
>
> If greater than 153600 5 times within 5 cycle(s) then restart else
> if passed 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then alert
>
> However, I frequently find that processes have swelled to well
> beyond that limit with no restart. Is there something that I'm
> missing here?

Have you checked that processes stay above 150 MB for the entire
duration of 5 cycles? If not, the if-test would not trigger.