Re: syslog,logrotate,solaris sparc

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: syslog,logrotate,solaris sparc
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:02:48 +0200

The "debug" is priority in syslog's language (not facility) and you cannot set it in monit - each message has the priority assigned based on its importance (error, info, debug, etc.). The syslog facility option value in monit is choice of log_local0 - log_local7 or log_daemon, other facilities are not supported.

Regarding the time based action (e.g. once per week, etc.) monit currently doesn't provide such functionality. You can use other tools (such as logadm on Solaris, logrotate on linux or cron in general).

Regarding the Solaris installation - it sometimes needs some setting (linker paths, libraries, etc.). See http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/ dist/binary/solaris/INSTALL and try to use ldd on monit (check for missing libraries). When you compiled monit from source, please provide output of configure and make, set 'ulimit -c unlimited', run monit is verbose mode (-v switch) and provide backtrace of the coredump (for example using 'gdb monit core.xyz' and run 'bt' in gdb prompt).

Martin