Monit+Heartbeat using upstart in Ubuntu (feisty)

From: Alex Stewart
Subject: Monit+Heartbeat using upstart in Ubuntu (feisty)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:35:24 -0400

Dear All,

Whilst this is really an upstart question, as upstart's documentation
has for the most part still to attain a true corporeal form given the
relative youth of the project and my question is something that anyone
using monit+heartbeat in Feisty is likely to have encountered I am
posting here in the hope that someone knows the answer.

Basically although monit is started up correctly (the first time) when
the monit-eventd file (included below) is in the /etc/event.d
directory on boot, if the monit process is then manually killed it is
*not* respawned.

Based on the experiences of others and bug posts, I have experimented
with placing the 'respawn' literal above and below the 'exec' line
(upstart version: 0.3.8-1), which does alter the behaviour in that
with respawn *above* the exec line, one instance of monit is spawned
for each of the run levels for which there exists a start command.
Whilst with respawn below, only one instance of monit is started.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

Alex

# monit (local) event.d file (place in /etc/event.d)

start on runlevel 2
start on runlevel 3
start on runlevel 4
start on runlevel 5

stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 6

console output

exec /usr/sbin/monit -c /usr/local/bfrt-monit/monitrc
respawn