Apple Launchd property list for monit

From: Sergio Trejo
Subject: Apple Launchd property list for monit
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:18:26 -1000

Below in this email is a simple but useful launchd property list (plist) that works fine for me on an Intel Mac running Mac OS X 10.4.9 and I hope it can come in handy for others who want to run monit on their Macs, especially since Apple is moving away from inetd and to launchd ... launchd is also used on Mac OS X for things that are important such as listening to port 22 for ssh connections.

In the example below, of course change the Label to something else and the path locations to the monit binary (in my case I use MacPorts installed in the /opt/local/ prefix) and you can put your monit configuration file anywhere else you want to.

Most important is that the dash I "-I" string as a ProgramArguments array value is included. The same info in the monit man page about why to use -I applies also to launchd.

You can give this property list a name such as " monit.plist" and then launch it as root like this:

# launchctl load monit.plist

Have fun!

-Serg

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>UserName</key>
        <string>root</string>
    <key>Label</key>
        <string>monit-is-awesome</string>
    <key>OnDemand</key>
        <false/>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
        <true/>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/opt/local/bin/monit</string>
        <string>-c</string>
        <string>/opt/local/monit/monit.config</string>
        <string>-I</string>
    </array>
</dict>
</plist>