Re: Can I use dollar sign in paths in monit config file?

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Can I use dollar sign in paths in monit config file?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:29:23 +0200

On 21. jun. 2007, at 07.53, Sergio Trejo wrote:

I was wondering why it is illegal (according to monit when I run it on the command line with the -t (syntax check) option) to preface a path with $HOME, such as:

set logfile $HOME/monit/my.log

I guess monit doesn't parse $HOME and expand shell variables such as $HOME?

No monit does not expand shell variables in monitrc and as a reminder does not allow $ in path names. Looks to me, a useful feature to add or did we have this discussion before? I seem to recall we discussed this and decided against.

Any suggestions or work arounds?

Instead of $HOME/monit/my.log write for instance /home/sergtrejo/ monit/my.log :-)

If you absolutely must use shell variables, preprocess monitrc for instance using something like

perl -pi -e 's,\$HOME,'$HOME',' .monitrc

Jan-Henrik