Re: Monit problem

From: Olivier Kaloudoff
Subject: Re: Monit problem
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:22:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Ycrux wrote:

Hi!

Hi Ycrux,

I'm facing a DB monitoring problem with "monit-4.9" under linux (2.6.15).
I want to monitor a "postgres" database (v8.4) with the following "monitrc"
configuration:

(...)

c) Run: strace -f -p $(cat /var/run/monit.pid) 2>&1 | tee /tmp/trace.out

d) please find attached the "/tmp/trace.out" (compressed as trace.out.gz)

It seems that "monit" search for "/var/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid". But this doesn't exist yet because "postgres" database is down (step b).

Your problem could be something like postgres, when starting, does not
have write permission to the postmaster.pid file, or the script used
to start postgres, simply did not succedd to start postgres ?

BTW, the postgres master process is called "postmaster" maybe the name in your check should be changed to this instead of "postgres" ?

Olivier