Feature suggestion - HTTP authentication improvement

From: David Anderson
Subject: Feature suggestion - HTTP authentication improvement
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:01:31 +0100

Hello,

I think Monit is great - thank you for it!

I would like to be able to authenticate in more ways than Monit allows.
At present it only allows htpasswd files as a backend (plain, MD5,
crypt) or specifying passwords in the configuration file.

I would like to be able to do more - otherwise I have to maintain yet
another password database (to go with the ones in MySQL, PAM, etc.,
that various other things are using).

The best thing would be if Monit could support arbitrary authenticators
by running an external binary. The external binary would take username
and password on separate lines, and then indicate its decision in the
return code. Then we could code up authenticators to our hearts content
in whatever language we choose.

If I were a C coder I would just write a patch myself... sadly I am
not! :-(

David

--
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of
God unto salvation to every one that believes; to the Jew first, and