Re: monit dying with "hostname did not resolve"

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: monit dying with "hostname did not resolve"
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:41:07 +0100

Hi,

Monit checks the monitored hostname during startup to make sure that there is no keying mistake in the configuration. In the case that the hostname is not resolvable, monit will refuse to start (because of 'invalid' configuration).

The question is, why your resolver isn't available during monit startup?

Maybe we should change this behavior just to warning ... for example when the user want's to start monit early as almost first service and make it responsible for nameserver startup, then this check may make problems.

What does the other developers think - do you agree with changing the hostname check on startup from showstopper to warning?

Martin

Martin Schröder wrote:
Hi,
I've got an instance of monit 4.5 on debian which should also monitor
a host and which upon system boot fails to start. Its last words are
monit: /etc/monit/monitrc:417: Error: hostname did not resolve 'f.nic.de'

Now, the name resolves later, so this seems to be a race condition. Is
there anything I can do to use a name (instead of an ip) which is not
resolvable at the start of monit but later?

Best