Re: monit display/servlet question

From: Ashley Graham
Subject: Re: monit display/servlet question
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:24:45 -0500

On 11/29/06, Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks for wanting to contribute! Unfortunately as things stand now,
with no separation of code from presentation you need to be able to
program C to change the design[1]. What exactly do you want to change
BTW? Changing unappealing HTML to appealing is not interesting in my
book. As long as the browser can parse the HTML I'm fine.

I know, that's why *you're* the programmer :)

However, if you have design suggestions for improvements we are all
ears. One way to contribute is to create a mock-up and post it to a
website we can look at. I believe we'll be happy to implement any
'objective' improvements in the monit GUI.

http://smarterfish.com/etc/mockups/monit.htm

Done! It's more of an overhaul. I *wouldn't* call it objective. Don't be mad: I took liberties (that I know I don't have-if nothing else; this was an experiment).

I replaced all non-standards code with shiny new compliant code. Updated the DOCTYPE, along with some other usability improvements.

Yes, it's all on one page: everything, I said I took liberties :)

I do hope you like it, if not suggestions. Either way it was a good learning experience for myself.

Best regards
--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland

1. I think we should add code and presentation separation to our TODO
list. HTML should be split out into a template file with e.g. @tags@
which are then substituted in cervlet.c with real values. This should
make it easier to change the design in the future. The way HTML is
embedded in the C code now  makes GUI changes very hard. Besides it
makes us look like we have never heard of the MVC design pattern :-)