Re: monitrc file & remote monitoring questions

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: monitrc file & remote monitoring questions
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:47:38 +0100

On 20. jan. 2006, at 18.50, Ken A wrote:

Is there any way to define a variable in the monitrc file?

Not at the moment. Maybe in the future if we refactor the control file language it could be something to consider.

I'm using monit to watch file checksums and timestames - where files are written by a cgi that accepts reports from remote machines. An unchanged checksum means that the remote service is working okay. This allows me to monitor remote services that otherwise couldn't be monitored using monit. I find myself changing the code of cervlet.c and cervlet.h to display these items in a more meaningful way. This is a lightweight solution, and doesn't require me to install monit on 20 machines.

Unless those remote services runs on Windows boxes I would recommend to install monit on them, that way, if an error occurs you can use monit to try and fix it, instead of only getting a report that something was wrong.

I know this isn't monit's focus, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a reasonable addition to the system? Any thoughts?

I think this is a creative solution, but I'm not sure if and what exactly we should add to monit? Maybe you would be better of using Nagios, or something like that, which collect and handle centralized reporting. Or you can wait for m/monit :)

Regards
--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255