Re: advanced HTTP query (cookies)

From: Ben Hartshorne
Subject: Re: advanced HTTP query (cookies)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:02:35 -0700

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 06:25:23PM +0200, Martin Pala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i think you can use monit's SEND/EXPECT statements - example usage:
>
> --8<--
>  if failed host cave.persia.ir port 4040
>     send "Open, Sesame!\r\n"
>     expect "Please enter the cave\r\n"
>     send "Shut, Sesame!\r\n"
>     expect "See you later [A-Za-z ]+\r\n"
>  then restart
> --8<--
>
> It should be possible to write the send/expect sequence as http requests
> with the cookie in the http header where needed ...

Martin,

I was looking at that syntax, but the string I need to test for
'success' is buried further than 256 Bytes into the page.  I saw that
the SEND/EXPECT statements are good for protocol negotiation, but
getting the cookie to the web page is only the first part.  I actually
do use the SEND/EXPECT syntax for the back-end testing, because I need
to verify an XML schema.

Also, if I understand the SEND/EXPECT schema, even though it uses regexp
to match the incoming strings, I would still havet to code in pretty
much the entire page up to the string I'm looking for, wouldn't I?

So my understanding is that the SEND/EXPECT syntax won't be able to
solve my problem.

Thoughts?

-ben