Re: Monit 4.4 - Apache Connection Failed

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Monit 4.4 - Apache Connection Failed
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:18:56 +0100

On Dec 15, 2004, at 9:54 AM, Martin Kloss wrote:

thanks for the reply, I just found the problem. It seems monit can't connect to the apache on localhost without providing a specific hostname to connect to. The weird thing is that there is a forbidden 403 error when just connecting to
port 80, but when providing a hostname it works.

If host name is _not_ specified monit will use an empty Host header in its HTTP request to the server. An empty host-header normally means that the http server will return output from the default (virtual)host. However this may be individual configured from server to server and I do see some servers return 403 or 503. Any response status from the server which is 400 or more is reported as an error by monit.

I wanted to avoid that, so that I would not have to change the config file when the hostnames of the virtualhosts change or the ip address changes, but I guess I can live with that :-)

Or you can change the configuration of your httpd server/LB to return output from the default host when the host-header is empty, which is the proper thing to do :)

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland