Re: FYI: monit status output

From: Davide Dente
Subject: Re: FYI: monit status output
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:55:45 +0100

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:01:57 +0100, "Jan-Henrik Haukeland"
<address@hidden> said:

> The XML output will look like this:

> <monit>
>         <monit-server>
>                 <uptime>String</uptime>
>         </monit-server>
>         <service>
>                 <type>process</type>
>                 <name>apache</name>
>                 <status>1</status>
>                 <monitored>1</monitored>
>         </service>
>         <service>
>                 <type>host</type>
>                 <name>ftp.redhat.com</name>
>                 <status>0</status>
>                 <monitored>0</monitored>
>         </service>
>         <service>
>                 <type>file</type>
>                 <name>httpd.bin</name>
>                 <status>0</status>
>                 <monitored>1</monitored>
>         </service>
>         <service>
>                 <type>directory</type>
>                 <name>/etc</name>
>                 <status>0</status>
>                 <monitored>1</monitored>
>         </service>
>         <service>
>                 <type>device</type>
>                 <name>hda5</name>
>                 <status>1</status>
>                 <monitored>1</monitored>
>         </service>
> </monit>
>
> and running "monit status" from the command line can produce this
> simplified text output: (If a service is not monitored, the text "not
> monitored" is printed *instead* of the status (which is unknown))
>
>   The monit daemon uptime: 28d 12m
>
>   Process 'apache':       running
>   Process 'sybase':       not running
>   File 'httpd.bin':       not monitored
>   Host 'tildeslash.com':  available
>   Host 'rhn.redhat.com':  not available or has errors
>   Device hda5:            accessible
>   Directory /etc:         not accessible or has error

A simple suggestion: if you add to both the XML and the text output the
version of the monit daemon (i.e., 4.1.1 or 4.2) it will be easier in the
future to write parsers that are able to parse the output from multiple
hosts.

This way, in a medium to big network, if for any reason the output format
has to change for a new version, you will not have to update the
collector system and ALL the local monit daemons on every host at the
same time.

Other than this, with your simplified output I waorry that we are going
to lose some useful information. For exemple, as it is Monit is very
useful for collecting information regarding the available space on every
monitored filesystem.

Wouldn't be possible to leave this information and simply let the parser
for mmonit ignore it ?

Please tell me if I could be able to help in any way.

bye,
dd