Re: [Proposal] control storage systems

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [Proposal] control storage systems
Date: 10 Oct 2002 20:46:43 +0200

<address@hidden> writes:

> >> I might punt on the "remove temp files". I think it would be better to
> >> have a hook into allowing a script to be executed or nothing at all.
> >
> > We kind of ruled out external scripts/plugins previously if I remember
> > correctly for a good reason, besides removing temporary files is easy
> > to do from within monit, we could simply fire off a new background
> > thread that clean up the file system.
>
> The only thing I don't like about monit removing files or packaging files
> or whatnot is that we have to start worrying about permissions, especially
> if some of the filesystems get monitored via NFS.>

I know you're probably itching to do some Perl scripts for monit :-)
but won't the same permission argument apply for an external script?

When removing temporary files, monit could just check that the
effective user running monit has permission and if not, simply do not
remove the file? (I know too little about NFS but permissions are
probably tricky with NFS, yes?)

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland