Re: [Proposal] control storage systems

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [Proposal] control storage systems
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:35:50 +0000

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Yeah, it will be excellent, if monit could watch diskspace too

Great!

In combination with
some other features such as optional output format from monit http (for
example plaintext/xml/etc.) it can be secure and more powerfull
replacement for all dangerous SNMP implementations. I think that if such
features will be in place, monit could be in the future accepted by big
vendors as SNMP alternative. There could be console (managment
station/system) that can fetch and manage all needed parameters from
monit nodes through http and in  the case of central configuration
source manage all those instances too (but it is maybe prety far in the
future).

I have an answer for this that I have been thinking on for some time:
Web-services, now I said it :) Actually using SOAP over http would be a good
alternative to SNMP. Since monit http is supporting SSL it's even "secure". It
should be fairly easy to implement a simple SOAP protocol for the monit http
server and a central application could query X monit servers running on Y
machines to get the status via the SOAP protocol. An interessting spin-off from
this could be a GTK+ application that is queering monit servers continuously
and showing the status in a panel. Or it could be a small server that support
http and query monit servers and getting status from them. The user could use a
browser to speak with this server and thereby display the status for all monit
servers running (much like the main status page monit shows today).

(Check out http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/ and http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/)

What do you think?

Jan-Henrik

Yes, thats exactly it :) I don't know SOAP (yet), but in general this think is a superior direction for next development