Re: UDP socket tests useless

From: Nils Ohlmeier
Subject: Re: UDP socket tests useless
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 05:13:59 +0200

On Monday 12 August 2002 10:56, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:
> If I find the time I will also have a lock into
> the nmap code since this port scanner obviously can test if a UDP
> server will answer (is running); with the following command (run as
> root): nmap -sU localhost.

I just took a quick look into the code of nmap (to look for a possible better
solution then your fix): sadely they make it in a complete other way.
If i understand correct nmap uses raw sockets to send out all
packets/requests. And then filter out all responses from the device in
promiscuous mode.
I think this is a little beyond the scope of monit :)

> Or if you would like to give it a try, please do, since I'm quite
> bussy at the moment :)

Not to busy to develop a quick fix. Respect.

Greetings
   Nils Ohlmeier