Re: [Patch] Revised resource-support [aka. "proc"-support]

From: Mark Ferlatte
Subject: Re: [Patch] Revised resource-support [aka. "proc"-support]
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:13:39 -0700

begin  Christian Hopp quote on Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 06:21:59PM +0200:
> 1) preliminary FreeBSD support... sorry but I don't know if it would
>    even compile.  It uses kvm and it's pure copy paste from (I gonna hear
>    a lot of "I TOLD YOU!!!") libgtop.  I haven't found anything else
>    which is helpful. )-:  PLEASE, could somebody test and fix it. (-:

Neat!  I'll, uh, maybe try to build and test this weekend.

> check foo-inet with pidfile /var/run/foo_daemon.pid
>     # long version
>     if memusage greater 10.0 for 2 cycles
>     if memkbyte greater 2000 for 2 cycles
>     # short version
>     cpuusage 10.0 3

<nitpick type="really picky">
If you're going to have filler to make it read like english, shouldn't
that be
        if memusage greater than 10.0 for 2 cycles
                            ^^^^
?
</nitpick>

> 5) New syntax filling words... "greater" and "for"

Something to think about: does it make sense to have a "lesser" keyword?
I know that I actually would have a usage case for a "if cpuusage lesser
than 0.9 for 2 cycles" kind of warning, but I may be the only one.

> 1) Solaris still needs uid=0, FreeBSD most properly will, Linux just
>    if proc has stricter permissions (I think with openwall patch).

FreeBSD will only need to have gid=kmem at most.