mldonkey-tasks

[Mldonkey-tasks] [task #11489] Incremental scan of shared files

From: spiralvoice
Subject: [Mldonkey-tasks] [task #11489] Incremental scan of shared files
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:06:09 +0000

             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release:
                 Release: None
        Operating System: None
         Binaries Origin: None
                CPU type: None

Details:

At present, when mldonkey is starting up(start by init scripts or by manually
called), it will do a full range scan of all shared files in the shared paths.
If there're a lot of shared files, the scanning will introduced huge amount of
file caches and the whole performance of the system is quite slow.

For example, in my case, I have 2000+ files and totally in 220+ GB large(some
are small ebooks, while some are large movies). I've setup mldonkey
auto-startup in Gentoo. After system boot up and mldonkey is running, my
harddisk will keep busy for a couple of minutes, CPU usage is ~20%, and all 4G
memory are occupied by file cache, and ~70M swap in use. If I don't make
mldonkey auto-startup, this won't happen.

So I think mldonkey should do incremental scan instead of the full scan. Since
the info of all shared files are stored in shared_files_new.ini, mldonkey can
check whether the shared file is in the list or not, just fully examine those
not in the list, and delay verification of the file info when the shared file
is requested(e.g. recompute the MD4 sum when other clients ask for sharing the
file).

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Do 14 Apr 2005 12:20:36 CEST  By: spiralvoice <spiralvoice>
Please check if this bug still is in current CVS version.
You should find a tarball of current CVS in files section of
this project: http://download.berlios.de/pub/mldonkey/spiralvoice/

Date: Mi 16 Mär 2005 02:24:49 CET  By: Amorphous <amorphous>
do you still have that problem? which version do you use? wich filesystem?

Date: Mo 10 Jan 2005 19:09:39 CET   By: spiralvoice <spiralvoice>
Which filesystem are you using? ReiserFS?
Are you using a patched 2-5-28 core from my page?
download.berlios.de/pub/mldonkey/spiralvoice

Date: Di 04 Jan 2005 13:10:22 CET   By: Anonymous
Hello everybody ! (my email is nicolast _at_ libertysurf _._ fr)

I've got a bug in mlnet, when I wait some times, my downloads are
automatically in pause, and there are no reasons for that :

my harddisk has enough space
my folder permissions are right

So, I ve found in the log this :

QueryBloc treated
QueryBloc treated
QueryBloc treated
QueryBloc treated
Exception Pervasives.Exit in QueryFileReq
Unexpected UDP message:
UDP QUERY LOCATIONS: 3360A2815C740B27F8A63B2FE7885A3B

And I hope that it will help you.

Thank you!

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?11489>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah