mit-scheme-users

[MIT-Scheme-users] Trouble drawing immediately after making a graphics d

From: Ty Lewis
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-users] Trouble drawing immediately after making a graphics device on the X window system
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 13:18:04 -0600

Hello,

I am just having some trouble with the graphics functionality on X. I have a simple program line.scm:

(define device (make-graphics-device 'x))
(graphics-draw-line device 0 0 5 5)
; No line is drawn

When I try to load this program in the REPL with (load "line.scm"), I get an empty screen, no line is drawn. If, however, I add short sleep or wait for a key input right after the device is made, then the line appears:

(define device (make-graphics-device 'x))
(sleep-current-thread 100)
(graphics-draw-line device 0 0 5 5)
; Line is drawn

Is this a known issue by chance? Are there any better workarounds? Again this is on X11 and with Scheme release 9.2.

Regards,

Ty