mit-scheme-users

Re: [MIT-Scheme-users] Installing MIT Scheme on FreeBSD x86_64

From: Francis GUDIN
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-users] Installing MIT Scheme on FreeBSD x86_64
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 16:20:57 +0100

Hello,

Taylor R Campbell writes:

   Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:21:23 +0100
   From: Francis GUDIN <address@hidden>

   I don't feel alone anymore: same issue on DragonFly x86. I had a
   few private mails back and forth with T. Campbell about it, but I
   didn't make any significant progress, alas.

Sorry, I haven't had any time lately to look into this.  I will have
some time in a couple weeks to set up a FreeBSD VM and debug it
myself.

If you want to poke around in low-level details yourself, you might
look into whether Scheme and FreeBSD agree on the structure of fenv_t
-- if Scheme can't find <fenv.h>, it implements its own version on x86
and x86-64, but perhaps due to a bug it gets some parts of <fenv.h>
from FreeBSD and uses its own version of other parts and thereby gets
confused.  See floenv.{c,h} and cmpintmd/x86-fenv.{c,h} in the
microcode directory for where all this happens.

About fenv_t, my build always had HAVE_FENV_H and HAVE_FENV_T defined in microcode/config.h; furthermore, a small patch to microcode/configure.ac enabled proper detection of a handful of fe*() that were misdetected.
Everything available in DragonFly's fenv(3) is recognized.
In case there's interest, I attach the diff.

I'll try to dig a bit in the files you mentionned.

Thanks for your help!
--
Francis