mit-scheme-devel

Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Setting up version-controlled src/runtime on OS X

From: Derek Peschel
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Setting up version-controlled src/runtime on OS X?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:41:45 -0700

That clears things up.  src/README.txt refers to the CVS sources and CVS
state, so it's nice to know that switching to git hasn't changed the build
procedure.

I wanted to mention some points I ran into when building from
mit-scheme-20090107.tar.gz on OS X.  It was an experiment to create a build
directory I could run "make install" from, without worrying about the
problem of creating a repository.

  1. I have MacPorts installed, I have /opt in my path so I can run ports,
     and configure finds the X binaries and libraries in /opt.  That strikes
     me as an undesirable dependency.  The solution is to set PATH before
     running configure.

     Building from git and doing Setup.sh, I may end up with a different
     configure script than the distributed one.  I'm still looking.

  2. In order for the top-level makefile to work, you must create Makefiles
     in doc and src.  To do that you must run configure in doc and src.
     This isn't a surprise in hindsight, but the need to get the whole
     picture from several documentation files slows down my understanding.

  3. I don't have TeX and don't really want to install it.  In doc, giving
     the --disable-pdf and --disable-ps options doesn't stop PDF and PS
     formats from being built, only from being installed.  My quick solution
     was to change the "all" target in doc/Makefile.common.in before running
     configure in doc.

  4. Because of OS X's case-sensitive file names, you can't have tags and
     TAGS in the same directory.  They are two names for the same file.

-- Derek