Re: What are the supported languages and targets?

From: Daniel Feenberg
Subject: Re: What are the supported languages and targets?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:38:28 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022, Robert Heller wrote:

At Tue, 13 Dec 2022 17:59:51 -0500 (EST) Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
wrote:

Would I be right in assuming that mxe supports Linux and Windows targets,
but not OSX?  And what source languages are supported? I don't see
anything on the website that specifies either of those specs.

Apple has pretty much made it impossible to cross-build for MacOSX (or iOS).

Are more details available anywhere? I had quite a bit of difficulty finding how to even build an exportable binary on a Mac, but this command seems to work for all my users in macOS 11.2.3:

   gfortran taxsim.f -static-libgfortran -static-libgcc -o taxsim35-osx.exe

While macOS doesn't allow truely static binaries, it does allow you to link everything that isn't calling macOS, using the above command.

Any information about what languages MXE supports?

Daniel Feenberg
NBER