Re: cross compile to MacOS

From: Robert Heller
Subject: Re: cross compile to MacOS
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 19:05:32 -0500 (EST)

At Mon, 30 Nov 2020 22:53:53 +0100 Valerio Messina <efa@iol.it> wrote:

> Il 30/11/20 alle 15:11, Zach Bacon ha scritto:
> > Because the SDK contains all the headers necessary to compile software
> > and in this case to have gcc/clang target macOS
>
> when I use MXE to generate for Windows, I think all the headers come
> from MXE/mingw itself not from Microsoft, or not?

The MXE/mingw header set are either from Microsoft or or are based on
Microsoft's headers (open source reverse engineered).

Note that *many* of the headers in the MacOSX SDK are in fact POSIX standard
headers and some are *BSD-ish headers (Darwin is a BSD variant micro kernel).

Some of the headers are specialized by the low-level system call interfaces,
but some are not so platform specific.

MXE/mingw attempts to provide a UNIX/POSIX API layer on top of the non-POSIX
MS-Windows O/S, so many of the MXE/mingw header set has something of a
UNIX/POSIX "look and feel" -- mingw was originally intended to allow UNIX and
Linux programs to be generally trivially ported to run under MS-Windows.
Since MacOSX *is* a POSIX O/S (BSD), many non-graphical UNIX/Linux programs
trivially compile under MacOSX, esp. since MacOSX's stock compiler is gcc
(that is what you get with XCode).

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services