[Mingw-cross-env-list] Producing "Unicode certified" windows executable

From: Nicolas Brouard
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Producing "Unicode certified" windows executable (.exe) programs with MXE?
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 22:44:17 +0100

Hi,

I am new on this list as well on MXE.

I am trying to compile softwares which uses QT 4 to be compiled. It compiled
successfully on Linux with qmake by adding the libraries required.
On OS/X, it can also be compiled by adding the required libraries with ‘brew’.

Both programs either on Linux or OS/X can display and manage Unicoded filenames
(in Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Arabic, cyrillic etc). The program displays a list
of the files of a directory and we can obviously certify that their names are
displayed correctly or not.

The next step was to get a working program on Windows. Let say Windows 10 in
order to have more chances to get "unicode-certified" softwares.

I found MXE by chance (no entry on Wikipedia) and installed the default install
on Linux (on /opt/MXE). After some hours and some gigabytes used, I
successfully installed MXE. The advantage of MXE is clearly to get various GPL
libraries to be installed on Windows suppressing the tedious work of compiling
them.

I did not find the documentation required for installing successfully the
program and used MXE as if it was a new library.
I wrote a src/foo.mk file, got a pkg/foo.tar.gz with the correct checksum,
added its name in doc/index.html, changed the PATH to include MXE binaries and
cd /opt/mxe; make foo
The standard MXE installed on my Linux is i686-w64-mingw32-static

It compiled successfully and I got foo.exe

foo.exe runs well on Windows (any) but unfortunately it is not able to display
correctly the unicoded filenames.The same list of files is displayed correctly
from the Microsft windows explorer (WIndows 10 or 7) but not using my foo.exe
program.
I tried to compile (successfully) with qt5 instead of qt(4) (by just adding 5
(after qt) in '$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/qt5/bin/qmake’ foo.pro). But the unicode
problem still remains.

It seems that the problem comes from the mingw compiler.

Did you encounter this problem? Can I add some “-municode" or “-Dunicode"
parameters in a Makefile?
Should I change the toolchain to some ming64 compiler?

Any hint is welcome.

—

--
N. Brouard