Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Merging (parts of) mxe-octave

From: Timothy Gu
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Merging (parts of) mxe-octave
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 23:56:20 +0000

Hi John,

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 3:47 PM John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Back in February 2014 we discussed merging some changes from mxe-octave
back into the MXE project.  I'd like to pick that up again.

I'm no longer too concerned about native builds or trying to support MSVC.

For now, I would just like to see if we can get a basic build of Octave
going in the current MXE system.

The steps outlined in this message:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2014-02/msg00037.html

seem about right to me.

Do all MXE packages now support shared builds?  If not, I would try to
make that change for any Octave dependencies.

Not ALL packages support shared builds, but a large majority of the packages do. Please, try to support them if it is not too much work.

[1]: http://mxe.cc/build-matrix.html

Beyond that, there are about 30 additional Octave dependencies that
would need to be added as new packages to MXE.  I can work on that by
porting the mxe-octave Makefile fragments and patches to the current MXE
system.

Is this something you would be interested in?

Definitely.

To start, I'm attaching a changeset for GLPK.  Does this look OK?  I'm
much more familiar with Mercurial than Git, so if something else that is
needed, or if there is a better or preferred way of submitting patches,
please let me know.

As far as the code goes, that looks just right for me. However, our main mode of accepting contributions is through GitHub pull requests, which allows us to review changesets and apply them in a much more intuitive way.

Thank you for your work, and I look forward to seeing more patches.

Timothy