Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Congrats - short question.

From: Jos De Laender
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Congrats - short question.
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 09:20:37 +0100

Thanks Tony and team !

Does that analysis match with the x86_64 targets working as expected ? Can I rely reasonably on such build ?

Can I address also a totally different minor point but which I believe is nevertheless very confusing for people like me who are just using your toolchain without being familiar with all the stuff behind it. It was only by trial and error I found out that x86_64 generates* Windows64 (PE32+) executables and that i686* generates Windows32 (PE32) executables. My initial understanding based on Google searches was that the first element of the triplet indicates the platform on which the compiler is running (and you could imagine generating PE32/PE32+ as well on i686 as on x86_64). So that's where I got pretty confused. I would like to suggest you getting a table in the documentation that clearly indicates what is the meaning of all the triplet stuff you are using and what's the practical use. (I guess that your users either are running on i686 either on x86_64 and want to generate either PE32 or PE32+. In both cases static or shared. So the list shouldn't be longer than 8 entries ?)

Sorry for the nitpicking, I'd like to re-iterate I am in the first place very impressed by the results of your efforts !

Jos