Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] stack smashing on i686 with -O3 since da82d07

From: Moritz Bunkus
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] stack smashing on i686 with -O3 since da82d07dbe
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 16:11:27 +0200

Hey,

thanks for your reply.

> Browsing the libssp changelog[1], it looks there’s only one recent
> change[2] that could cause this. If you’re lucky, reversing that will
> return the old behaviour.

I haven't tried it yet but the problem is not related to the stack
protector. The crash happens even if I compile without any kind of stack
protector activated, there just isn't a nice message about the stack
being smashed. It silently segfaults instead.

libssp is the stack protector functionality, isn't it? So a change in
there shouldn't have any effect if stack protection isn't used.

Running this inside gdb and setting a breakpoint on main shows that the
crash happens before main during global initialization.

I'll try to create a minimal example but as I have no idea what the
issue might be or were to look for it I don't know how successful I'll
be. My initial tests with a "hello world" kind of application didn't
crash.

Kind regards,
mosu