Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk3 and gtkmm3

From: Gerardo Ballabio
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk3 and gtkmm3
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 21:32:35 +0200

Have you tried running "i686-w64-mingw32.static-nm libfreetype.a | grep FT_Get_BDF_Property" as I suggested? Is the symbol listed or not?

Your list contains 256 packages. If you do a binary search, it will take 8 rebuilds to find the offending package, if it is indeed one package. I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I haven't the resources to do such mass rebuilds.

As another line of attack, I'd suggest that you compare the libraries built in the two runs. If one of those is broken in the larger build, it will be different from the one built by "make pango". Unfortunately a simple diff might not help, because I suspect that the compiler adds a timestamp or something else -- I remember I tried to build the same package twice and the two executables weren't identical. Maybe you can compare the size of the files.

Now I'm going to try and build gtk3 with the files sent by the other submitter. I see he has posted an update, but from https://github.com/mxe/mxe/pull/795 I can't see where I can download the new version. Can you please direct me to it?

Gerardo

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Gerardo Ballabio
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I downloaded your 3-gigabytes tarball, only to find that I can't use it
> because it's built for 64-bits architecture, mine is 32-bits.
>
> Instead, I found that the missing symbol listed in the original report is
> defined in libfreetype.a:
>
> $ ./usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32.static-nm
> usr/i686-w64-mingw32.static/lib/libfreetype.a | grep FT_Get_BDF_Property
> 00000090 T _FT_Get_BDF_Property
>
> If that symbol isn't present in your build of libfreetype.a, then the
> problem is with freetype-bootstrap. Please check.
>
> I extracted the freetype source tree and found that FT_Get_BDF_Property is
> indeed declared in include/ftbdf.h and defined in file src/base/ftbdf.c.
> There don't seem to be any conditional compiler directives in those files,
> so I can't see why that function would not be compiled.
>
> I compared your build sequence with that produced by "make pango", in order
> to see if I could spot any missing dependencies. But in fact, "make pango"
> builds *less* packages before freetype-bootstrap (after gcc it builds only
> three: bzip2, zlib and libpng). Could it be that freetype-boostrap needs to
> be built *before* some of the other packages (that would make it a
> dependency of the other package, instead of the other way around)? I can't
> quite understand why it would be so, but here's the list, in case you want
> to try:
>
> xz pixman pcre lzo libsigc++ libiconv libffi jpeg icu4c expat libjpeg-turbo
> libxml2 gettext tiff jasper dbus

I have built pango with `make pango` [1] and compared the log with the
log of build-pkg [2]

Here is the list of extra packages which are built by build-pkg before
pango and aren't build by `make pango`:

a52dec alure apr apr-util armadillo aspell assimp atk atkmm bfd blas
boost box2d bullet cairomm cblas ccfits cfitsio check chipmunk
cminpack cppunit crystalhd cunit curl dcmtk dlfcn-win32 eigen exiv2
faad2 fdk-aac fftw file flac flann fltk freeglut freeimage freetds
fribidi gc gdb gdk-pixbuf geos giflib glew glfw2 glfw3 glibmm gmp
gnutls gsl gsoap gstreamer gta guile hdf5 hunspell id3lib ilmbase isl
itk jansson jasper jpeg json-c jsoncpp json_spirit lame lapack lcms1
lcms lensfun levmar libaacs libarchive libbs2b libcaca libcdio
libcdio-paranoia libcomm14cux libcroco libdca libdnet libdvbpsi
libdvdcss libdvdnav libdvdread libepoxy libevent libf2c libftdi1
libftdi libgcrypt libgda libgdamm libgee libgeotiff libgnurx libgomp
libgpg_error libgsasl libgsf libharu libiberty libical libidn
libircclient libjpeg-turbo liblaxjson liblo liblqr-1 libltdl libmad
libmicrohttpd libmikmod libmng libmodplug libmpcdec libntlm liboauth
libodbc++ liboil libpaper libplist librtmp libsamplerate libshout
libsigc++ libsndfile libssh2 libsvm libunistring libusb1 libusb
libvpx libwebp libwebsockets libxml2 libxml++ libxslt libzip llvm
log4cxx luabind lua luajit matio mdbtools minizip mman-win32 mpc mpfr
mpg123 muparser mxml ncurses netpbm nettle nlopt nsis ocaml-core
ocaml-findlib ocaml-flexdll ocaml-native ocaml-xml-light ogg old
openal openblas opencore-amr openexr openjpeg openmp-validation
openssl opusfile opus pdcurses pdflib_lite pfstools physfs picomodel
pire plibc plib plotutils poco polarssl popt portablexdr portaudio
portmidi postgresql primesieve proj protobuf qdbm qtbase qt readline
rubberband rucksack sdl2_gfx sdl2 sdl2_image sdl2_mixer sdl2_net
sdl2_ttf sdl_gfx sdl sdl_image sdl_mixer sdl_net sdl_rwhttp sdl_sound
sdl_ttf sfml smpeg2 smpeg sox speex sqlite suitesparse taglib tclap
teem termcap theora tiff tinyxml2 tinyxml tre twolame vamp-plugin-sdk
vcdimager vidstab vigra vmime vo-aacenc vo-amrwbenc vorbis wavpack
wget winpcap winpthreads wxwidgets x264 xapian-core xerces xmlrpc-c
xmlwrapp xorg-macros xvidcore xz yasm zziplib

One of these packages seems to break something pango depends on.

[1] https://gist.github.com/starius/6d4580f5d7fdc55eeb76#file-history-of-success-log
[2] https://gist.github.com/starius/6d4580f5d7fdc55eeb76#file-history-of-failure-log

--

Best regards,