Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Questions 08/22

From: Timothy Gu
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Questions 08/22
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 00:00:40 +0000

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 4:12 PM Thomas Dineen <address@hidden> wrote:
Gentle People:

1) For those of you out there who have recently completed a new build
of the whole (Or most of) the M Cross Environment: What OS did you
build it on, including version? Were you able to build all of the packages?

I can't answer this question, since I did not do a clean build for a while, but based on feedback from others I can assume that Ubuntu is the most popular system. MXE supports all versions ≥14.04. And NO, it is known that not all packages build, but those that don't build are less-used and probably worthy of removal anyway.

     I ask this question because I have had difficulity in the past building
the M Cross Environment on Fedora and RedHat (CentOs)

File a ticket please.

      So is there a favored OS and version?

No, but usually Debian-derived systems are used because of their popularity.

more popularity = more people use it = more MXE users use it = more bugs on these platforms get reported & fixed = more stable

What dose the -w64 mean and what dose the trailing 32 mean?

Is this fully 64 bit or not?

i686- : for use on 32-bit Windows.
x86_64-: for use on 64-bit Windows.
-w64-: refers to the project mingw-w64, which supports BOTH 32- and 64-bit Windows
-mingw32: refers to the project MinGW and the fact that it implements the Win32 API (which is implemented in BOTH 32- and 64-bit Windows)

TL;DR: The first part is what you are looking for. Don't worry about -w64-mingw32.

Do I need a command line switch in the ./Configure for a 64 bit build?

MXE doesn't have a ./Configure. If this is in the project you want to cross compile, I don't know,

Timothy