Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Removing the stable branch?

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Removing the stable branch?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 21:44:02 +0200

3) Remove the stable branch

    Don't mention it in the docs anymore, use only master, and generate
    the website (gh-pages) follows master instead of stable.

Opinions and volunteers welcome!
HI,

I agree that it's time to retire the stable branch. I never have used it personally. It gets quickly outdated. I suspect that when users need stability, they keep their own private stable branches. Because MXE offers so many packages and invites customization, it lends itself to this. Stability is a relative concept.

By the way, I think this is related to the discussion of binary packages. Binary packages would force some degree of "stability", make MXE less agile, and reduce local customization. I would not like to see binary packages become a burden to the MXE. There are already other projects that produce binary mingw packages, and one of the things that makes MXE special is being light on its feet. Assuming there actually is substantial demand for rigidly configured binary MXE packages, my thinking is that MXE itself should not produce binary packages, but a separate project could focus on doing this based on MXE's recipes. Probably such a project would maintain its own "stable" branch of MXE.

Mark