Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Removing the stable branch?

From: Rashad M
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Removing the stable branch?
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 14:09:01 +0100

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear MXE team,

I'd like to hear some opinions on the stable branch.  It is so
outdated that I doubt anyone uses it.  On the other hand, our website
still recommends the stable branch.  Also, the website itself is
generated from the stable branch.

So we have to do something about it.  I see the following options:

1) Re-establish the testing phases and make regular releases

   This is what we always wanted to to, but ran out of people having
   time for that.  Open questions:

   - Is it worth the effort?
   - Any volunteers?
   - How to we ensure that this will continue reliably?
   - Which interval? (each month, every 3 months, every 6 months)

2) Update the stable branch, but update it automatically

   We could create an automated test suite, building upon the tests we
   already have.  Each commit triggers a rebuild and runs the tests.
   If it succeeds, stable is fast-forwarded to the current master.
   The website (gh-pages) follows stable as usual.  Open questions:

   - Is it worth the effort?
   - Any volunteers?

By test suite, you mean testing of the .mk files ( building, installing different targets) or actually testing the generated packages.
Because the latter needs a windows host or a possiblity to copy to VM

3) Remove the stable branch

   Don't mention it in the docs anymore, use only master, and generate
   the website (gh-pages) follows master instead of stable.

I would prefer to keep stable branch even it is not much used by developers. This will be helpful for users
just my +1

Opinions and volunteers welcome!

Regards,

Regards,