Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Any hints on how to debug on MXE?

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Any hints on how to debug on MXE?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 17:33:18 +0200

On 16/02/15 07:52, Timothy Gu wrote:

Nikos, I feel that N. N.'s suggestion is the way to go. Could you please
try doing that and report back any findings?

See
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/plugins-howto.html#details-of-linking-static-plugins
and http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtplugin.html#Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN

None of that helped. Also, even when trying, the build system reports duplicate entries. A look at the generated makefile makes it clear that Qt5 already includes everything needed in the link and auto-generates static plugin instantiation code. But more importantly, the text codecs do not even exist as a plugin anymore. They are directly in qtbase. No plugin instantiation is needed for them anymore, as was the case with Qt4.

However, I found the problem. I needed to replace the config flag in qtbase.mk:

  -icu

with:

  -no-icu

Now it works. This is a small problem to reproduce the issue:

  #include <QApplication>
  #include <QTextCodec>

  int main(int argc, char* argv[])
  {
      QApplication a(argc, argv);
      QTextCodec* codec = QTextCodec::codecForName("Windows-1252");
      codec->toUnicode("test"); // <- crash due to codec == NULL
      return 0;
  }

I'd be surprised if anyone in here is actually able to run this program without it crashing. Qt5 seems unable to use a static ICU. I'm not sure what disabling ICU does though, but the text codecs seem to work fine even without it.