Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Using mxe build libraries with native toolcha

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Using mxe build libraries with native toolchain
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 15:17:12 +1000

On 2 Oct 2014, at 22:06, philippe renon <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let's say that I built the gdal library using mxe and now want to use it in a
> project that is natively built on windows with a mingw toolchain.
> I that possible at all?

In theory, for some packages, it should be a simple matter of copying the
headers/libs over. In practice, you may see subtle issues with different linker
versions and most likely have to write/modify pkg-config files. Some packages
also hard-code absolute paths so the binaries themselves are not movable. In
general, MXE is not relocatable.

> I searched the mailing list and got it that mxe is meant to compile complete
> applications, but is the use case above supported in some way.
> Building the whole application with mxe is not feasible as not all developers
> working on it have access to a linux.

There’s always Vagrant[1] which is the easiest way to have consistent
development environments. You may think it will not perform well, but in the
past I’ve found it’s a lot faster than msys.

[1] https://www.vagrantup.com