Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Deploying Qt 5 applications on Windows

From: Paul Boddie
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Deploying Qt 5 applications on Windows
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 17:42:52 +0200

On Wednesday 07 May 2014 14:27:57 you wrote:
> On 7 May 2014, at 22:00, Paul Boddie <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 May 2014 17:17:14 Paul Boddie wrote:
> >> Attempting to run the same program on Windows 7 Professional just gives
> >> me an unhelpful Windows dialogue box more or less telling me that the
> >> program crashed.
>
> What happens when you run the test program? You’ll find it in:
>
>     <path to mxe>/usr/<target>/bin/test-qt5.exe

This program runs successfully under Wine, although it does crash upon exit
with the following error:

Unhandled exception: divide by zero in 32-bit code (0x00c58210).

> You could also try building and running the qt examples, just change
>  "-nomake examples” to “-make examples” in src/qtbase.mk and run “make
>  qtbase” again

I have given this a try and examples also seem to work, again with the above
final closing error under Wine.

I did see that running my program using Wine produced the following notorious
SELinux warning:

setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing /usr/bin/wine-preloader from mmap_zero
access on the memprotect

Setting the wine_mmap_zero_ignore boolean to 1 did not change the situation at
all: the zero address access still occurs. Maybe I'm missing some code
somewhere, but having built and linked against the results of "make qt5" and
"make qtbase", I don't quite understand what that might be. The very same code
compiles and runs just fine using my normal Linux toolchain.

> > Following up to myself, this situation resembles the following report:
> >
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20814058/cross-compiling-qt5-on-linux-
> >for- windows
> >
> > I see that there's some support for other targets and for shared
> > libraries, partly from a thread about MXE Octave back in February. Could
> > anyone tell me where this might be documented?
>
> Have a look at step 3 of the tutorial:
>
> http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://raw.github.com/mxe/mxe/master/index.h
> tml#tutorial-3

This looks like the standard tutorial, and I guess that choosing another of
the targets mentioned in the settings.mk file is a possibility. I suppose that
doing this from a clean installation is recommended, too.

Currently, I'm rebuilding with a highly sanitised environment, which is what I
should have done to start with, I guess, and I'll see if that makes any
difference.

Thanks for the help!

Paul

P.S. Building Octave using MXE Octave worked but running octave.exe then
caused the above SELinux policy errors and, even when those were suppressed,
unavoidable DLL search errors for files that were built and could even be
specified using WINEDLLPATH. So I'm not sure there are any lessons to be
learned from that work, unfortunately.