Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Merging MXE Octave - first steps (was What ge

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Merging MXE Octave - first steps (was What gets compiled into DLL by libtool (licencing issues))
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 04:55:24 +1100

On 27 Feb 2014, at 03:28, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 02/26/2014 05:42 AM, Tony Theodore wrote:
>>
>> On 25 Feb 2014, at 23:05, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> -enable shared builds for existing Octave dependencies
>>
>> Of course, the first package I look at (blas) has no hints whatsoever about
>> building a shared lib!
>>
>> I guess this is where the `make-shared-from-static` script comes in. How
>> have you found the approach to work in practice? Is there anything you’d
>> change in retrospect or should we merge it as-is?
>
> The make-shared-from-static script works well enough for me.
>
> If I wanted to do it "right" for those packages that use the
> make-shared-from-static script, I would add an automake+libtool build
> system.  For some packages like blas and lapack, that would be fairly
> easy.  For others it would be much more work.
>
> I would like to improve the build systems of individual packages and
> try to get the changes upstream but I haven't had enough time to do it.

Yes, time is always a problem ;) I’ll look at using the make-shared-from-static
since it’s working at the moment.

Hdf5 is now done[1] and I’ll keep going with the existing deps.

One question: does ENABLE_64 mean “build x86_64-w64-mingw32” or “use 64-bit
integers for array dimensions and indexing”?

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/commit/6cdb1fce4ce06572f875d65083729110918045de