[Mingw-cross-env-list] Legal notes (was: What gets compiled into DLL by

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Legal notes (was: What gets compiled into DLL by libtool (licencing issues))
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 00:31:02 +1100

On 25 Feb 2014, at 18:50, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> John W. Eaton schrieb:
>> On 02/24/2014 08:03 PM, Tony Theodore wrote:
>>>
>>> One is considered a "work that uses the library", the other a derivate:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License#Differences_from_the_GPL

How did I write that one week after proposing a legal notes section[1]?

>> As I understand it, the important thing is not that linking uses
>> shared libraries, but that it is possible to replace the components
>> that are covered by the LGPL with newer/different versions.  There
>> are other ways to accomplish that than using shared libraries.
>
> That's true, but for shared libraries, this is given more or
> less automatically. With static linking, you have more
> obligations, such as to oblige yourself to re-link the code
> for anyone, anytime to any other (even non-official) library
> version. Or you have to provide the full source code.
>
> So strictly speaking, this is _not_ about static versus
> dynamic linking. But providing a dynamically linked version
> (at least as an option in addition to a statically linked
> version) makes life a lot easier when LGPL is involved.

I prefer the:

"We currently limit ourselves to:

    --enable-languages='c,c++,objc,fortran’"

so I’ve pushed the legal notes to stable [2] and added a link to the GNU
Licenses FAQ (not specific to #LGPLStaticVsDynamic).

The libtool question remains, but that is deterministic output to symbolic
manipulation - which we can do;)

[1]
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2014-02/msg00018.html
[2] http://mxe.cc/#legal