Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] What gets compiled into DLL by libtool (licen

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] What gets compiled into DLL by libtool (licencing issues)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 23:21:30 -0500

On 02/24/2014 08:03 PM, Tony Theodore wrote:

On 25 Feb 2014, at 05:35, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

On 02/24/2014 11:57 AM, Jonathan Hogg wrote:

However, as the software itself is proprietary, we cannot (so far as I'm
aware) redistribute LGPL code if its been compiled into the same DLL.
While some fo the above packages have a suitable linking exception, so
far as I'm aware, the pthreads and quadmath libraries don't.

What leads you to believe that the method of linking (dynamic vs. static)
changes the requirements of the (L)GPL?

One is considered a "work that uses the library", the other a derivate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License#Differences_from_the_GPL

As I understand it, the important thing is not that linking uses shared libraries, but that it is possible to replace the components that are covered by the LGPL with newer/different versions. There are other ways to accomplish that than using shared libraries.

I think that focusing on shared/static libraries misses that point and leads people to believe that this exception for the LGPL somehow also applies to code covered by the GPL.

jwe