Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] using system vs bundled libs (was Re: mxe for

From: Martin Müllenhaupt
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] using system vs bundled libs (was Re: mxe for windows 7 (64 bit))
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:46:43 +0200

On 29.06.2013 18:07, Tony Theodore wrote:
> Thanks for that, though I wonder if we should keep using the bundled libs
> instead?
> The vtk team has gone to the trouble of packaging third party libs and making
> sure they work, maybe using the system libs is actually a regression.

I agree, that using the packaged libs would save us further trouble.

But I once had an issue with a packaged version of pthread and linking
my app against mxe's pthread at the same time because of multiple
definition of the symbols.
So I looked in the source:
All libraries which I used (expat, freetype, hdf5, jpeg, libxml2,
theora, png, tiff and zlib) contain a vtk_libname_mangle.h which
prefixes all exported symbols.

So I guess there should be no multiple symbol definitions because of vtk.

The only reason left for using mxes system libs would be bugfixes, which
I think don't outweigh the problem of keeping vtk compatible with mxe's
up-to-date libs.

But could you at least merge the change in src/vtk6-1-tryrun.patch for
the CMAKE_REQUIRE_LARGE_FILE_SUPPORT output?

Martin