Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Building dynamic libs (was: Anyway to remove

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Building dynamic libs (was: Anyway to remove installed packages ?)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:12:31 +1000

On 24/04/2013, at 11:20 AM, KangJing Huang <address@hidden> wrote:

> BTW, I noticed your multi-target and multi-rebase branches… I think its idea
> would be nice yet a little bit confused about how it works and how to use it……

There are some notes in the issue tracker[1], but basically you clone the repo,
adjust settings.mk, and run `make` as you normally would with mxe - usage is
the same. Both of these are deprecated, however, and won't receive much
maintenance in the future.

> Also do you have any plans placing dynamic building into your multi-target
> infrastructure?

Yes, the original idea of the multi-* branches was to support static/dynamic
linking as well as mingw.org/mingw-w64 toolchains. The $(LINK_STYLE) idea in
the multi-target branch is going to be expanded to support custom flags[2] and
stretched to support more top level workflow requirements[3]. The target
dependencies in the multi-rebase branch will be taken to their logical
conclusion and support LFS-like native builds[4]. No timeframe tough ;)

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/39#issuecomment-11911176
[2] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/9
[3] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/134
[4] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/145