Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions (qt versions)

From: Ulrich Klauer
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions (qt versions)
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 07:24:40 +0200

Peter Rockett <address@hidden>:

still reports gsl 1.14 so presumably this only updates against the stable version?
No, stable doesn't find 1.15 because of the git -> bazaar move. The master branch both contains 1.15 and would find 1.16 if such a version was released later.
I think you misunderstood my question. If you download the master branch and then run "make update", you seem to get update information from the _stable_ branch, not the (expected) master branch. Hence running "make update PKGS=gsl" reports that 1.14 is current despite the fact that the master branch has been updated to 1.15. I presume the URL of the git repository is embedded in the makefile as a literal, and it seems to be the same for both branches' makefiles - both appear to point to the stable branch. Is this intended or an oversight?

Here is what make update shows for me when run from the different branches:
master$ make update PKGS="gsl"
.        gsl  1.15
make: Nothing to be done for `update'.
stable$ make update PKGS="gsl"
.        gsl  1.14
make: Nothing to be done for `update'.

This is expected, but atypical and caused by the aforementioned change to bazaar. Let's have a look at a different package that was updated recently:
master$ make update PKGS="matio"
.        matio  1.5.1
make: Nothing to be done for `update'.
stable$ make update PKGS="matio"
NEW      matio  1.3.4 --> 1.5.1
[more output showing the update of the version in index.html and the checksum in src/matio.mk]

What "make update" does is *not* to look into the MXE repository at GitHub. Instead, it runs an *_UPDATE macro contained in src/matio.mk. This will try to find out what the most recent version is from the matio project site on SourceForge.

Assuming the project released version 1.5.2 today, "make update" would find this (in both stable and master) even before the MXE repository is updated.

However, that does not necessarily mean that the updated version will work. "git diff stable..master -- src/matio.mk" will show you what has changed in src/matio.mk between stable and master. It is not only the checksum (done automatically by "make update"), but there is also a new dependency, and the *_BUILD macro has been changed as well. "make update" from the stable branch won't know anything about these changes, so it is possible that a subsequent build will fail due to an unknown configure option or a missing dependency (I haven't tried).

Ulrich