Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions (qt versions)

From: Peter Rockett
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions (qt versions)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:10:06 +0100

On 31/03/13 13:34, Ulrich Klauer wrote:
Peter Rockett <address@hidden>:

still reports gsl 1.14 so presumably this only updates against the stable version?
No, stable doesn't find 1.15 because of the git -> bazaar move. The master branch both contains 1.15 and would find 1.16 if such a version was released later.

I think you misunderstood my question. If you download the master branch and then run "make update", you seem to get update information from the stable branch, not the (expected) master branch. Hence running "make update PKGS=gsl" reports that 1.14 is current despite the fact that the master branch has been updated to 1.15. I presume the URL of the git repository is embedded in the makefile as a literal, and it seems to be the same for both branches' makefiles - both appear to point to the stable branch. Is this intended or an oversight?

Is "git pull" what I want in order
to update the development version?
Generally, yes. Regarding modified files, "git status" will show if there are any and also display the command to reset them.

"git log" lists the recent changes. If it doesn't show yesterday's gsl update, something went wrong with your "git pull".

I managed to 'repair' my install (as I reported in my previous post) by deleting the messed-up index.html and running "git pull". That did indeed show me gsl 1.15 as expected. But thanks for the extra insights into git. Only ever used CVS and SVN.

You can always throw away the whole directory and make a fresh clone, but this will require recompiling everything ...
That's the very thing I am bending over backwards to avoid... given that I am building Qt!

Peter