Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Problems with the guile package

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Problems with the guile package
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 11:53:55 -0600

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 01:18 +1100, Tony Theodore wrote:

> On 11/02/2013, at 3:12 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > In building Denemo on mxe I have run in to some problems with the
> > guile
> > build.
> > The first has been solved (thanks to the guile-user mailing list):
> > the
> > guile.mk generates static libraries for the srfi modules but the
> > scripts
> > it generates expect them to be shared objects. Two lines need
> > patching
> > for them to be used.
>

> Could you send through details of these patches? Sounds like something
> we should include.

Unfortunately because we didn't get this line of approach finished I
didn't end up with actual patch files just hand-altered tarballs. I've
just been looking back at the thread which gave rise to all the fixes
"Re: statically linking in srfi modules" on guile-user-request at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/

and it ends with the comment that from the developers that

>this is mostly not an issue in Guile 2

so perhaps it will be better to work on a static libguile v 2.x rather
than get the 1.8 working.

I noticed that mxe stable has guile 2 by default now. I am doing a git pull and making denemo to test it out. I know gub is what we will probably use for this release, but it would probably be good to keep this in the slow cooker because of how many projects that actually use MXE. Can we use MXE to create static Linux binaries also?

Jeremiah

Richard