Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] package python: compiles on

From: LM
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] package python: compiles on
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 09:35:37 -0500

Alois Schloegl wrote:
> I've managed to cross-compile python 3.3.0 [1]. After some hazzles, also
> the need for wine is gone.
>
> I'm not sure about the install step, which files should go where. It
> would be great if anyone could have a look.

That's great news.  I was looking at trying to compile and package
Python 2.7 a couple of months ago and even with all the patches for
MinGW compilation and cross-compiling was still having issues.  Was
trying to build natively on Windows at the time not even attempting to
cross-compile, hoping that I could at least get something to work.  I
could get it to compile without errors, but when I got to the steps
where it needed to run Python scripts or where I needed to get all the
files in order to install them somewhere, I'd have all kinds of issues
with wrong paths and Windows differences when running Python scripts.
I really wish Python had better support for Windows built-in, but from
what I've read in the comments from issues logged, the people involved
with the project don't seem to like Windows development too much.  I
wouldn't care (since I don't like programming in Python), except that
many applications won't even build without Python installed now
(especially browser and server side JavaScript applications) and some
package management tools need Python.  I've noticed most of the
cross-platform tools for sneaker-netting Debian/Ubuntu updates appear
to be written in Python and need a Windows version of Python to run
them from a Windows machine.  It certainly makes it nice to be able to
build/cross-compile a Windows version of Python just to be able to use
and distribute with scripts like these.

Will definitely check out what you have as soon as I have some free
time.  Thanks for sharing your efforts.