Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Sourceforge Mirror (was: Variable JOBS)

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Sourceforge Mirror (was: Variable JOBS)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 22:01:29 +0200

Tony Theodore schrieb:
> On 03/05/2012, at 5:04 AM, Tony Theodore wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > As an aside, I'm fairly sure "downloads.sourceforge.net" redirects to the
> > nearest mirror, but it needs the $(PKG)_URL to be in a certain format.
>
> I just tested a complete new download run with SOURCEFORGE_MIRROR :=
> downloads.sourceforge.net, and there weren't any problems. I previously
> thought the urls needed to have a different format, but that isn't the case -
> it will redirect to an appropriate mirror.
>
> Does anyone have any concerns or see any issues with changing this?

A long time ago, when I wrote mingw-cross-env and added first
packages, I encountered serious issues with downloading
SourceForge packages. Sometimes they redirected me to a fast
mirror, but often enough I ended up with a dead slow mirror.
And if you download lots of SourceForge packages, where only
a third or less comes from a slow mirror, it will nevertheless
slow down things noticeably.

This is why I didn't hard code downloads.sourceforge.net
in the download URLs, but introduced the $(SOURCEFORGE_MIRROR)
variable. I set it to the kent.* mirror as that one appeared
to me as an always fast and reliable mirror, but since other
people in other countries may have different expriences,
I decided to make it flexible using the $(SOURCEFORGE_MIRROR)
variable.

Note that this is in contrast to almost any other mirror system.
For instance, I never experienced such an issue with Gnome mirrors
or Savannah mirrors (or any other mirror system, for that matter).
This is why there is only one such hack - for SourceForge.

Maybe things have changed over the years. Maybe SourceForge
has finally been able to fix their mirror system. I don't
know.

If that's the case, I'd recommend remove the $(SOURCEFORGE_MIRROR)
hack altogether, and to "hard code" downloads.sourceforge.net
in all SourceForge download URLs. It's the responsibility of
SourceForge, not ours, to provide a proper mirror selector.

However, if things haven't changed and still every third
auto-selected SourceForge mirror is dead slow, I'd recommend
to agree on another sensible default mirror (other than kent.*),
but to avoid using downloads.sourceforge.net for that purpose.

Regards,