Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Documentation (was Re: libssh2 update to vers

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Documentation (was Re: libssh2 update to version 1.4.1)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 19:51:16 +0200

Moritz Bunkus schrieb:
> there are tons of ways to handle local changes with git (always
> rebasing against upstream's master; only merging upstream's changes;
> even stashing before merging). Stashing is the worst solution because
> it always leaves your working tree dirty, accumulates local changes
> that are otherwise unrelated and is way too much work.

Full ack. "git stash" is great for temporary, small changes,
but it's the worst way to handle any "permanent" changes.

> If you never plan on pushing those up then the easiest way is to
> simply commit them to your local "master" branch. "git pull" will then
> merge the upstream changes with your local changes and only touch
> gcc.mk if it has actually changed upstream.

I fully agree with that. In addition, I recommend to do
this within an extra branch, and to use the master branch
for local changes that you *want* to publish.

Also, running "git pull --rebase" is a good way to keep
your local branch in a "pushable" state. However, be
careful no to "rebase" anything you've already published.

Maybe we should update to the docs to point to a good
guide about local changes and git. I don't think we
should write yet another one. Any proposal?

Regards,