Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Sourceforge download troubles

From: Lothar May
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Sourceforge download troubles
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 09:39:16 +0200

Hi,

Am 13. April 2012 17:32 schrieb Matthias Gehre <address@hidden>:
> mingw-cross-env's experiences difficulties downloading packages from
> sourceforge for me.
> Examples are expat, pcre and libpng. I updated to latest git.
>
> The wget output already shows 'Length: 20191 (20K) [text/html]',
> and the file downloaded contains some sourceforge html. Then, of course,
> it fails the checksum verification.
>
> Does sourceforge try to prevent direct downloads? Is anyone else
> experiencing this?

I'm also having trouble downloading from sourceforge using wget (or
curl). It seems that command lines like
wget http://ncu.dl.sourceforge.net/project/expat/expat/2.0.1/expat-2.0.1.tar.gz
no longer work (they used to work but were redirected to a random
mirror for some time now, even though there was e.g. the "ncu" mirror
in the url).
Since mxe uses the upper kind of link for expat, this seems to be the problem.

What still works is
wget
http://sourceforge.net/projects/expat/files/expat/2.0.1/expat-2.0.1.tar.gz/download
However, the resulting file will be named "download", so either a
rename has to follow or some parameter for wget.

Regards,
Lothar