[Mingw-cross-env-list] Static vs. shared Qt (was: Qt libjscore.a not ins

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Static vs. shared Qt (was: Qt libjscore.a not installed)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:53:20 +0100

Mark Brand schrieb:

> >Using shared Qt libs looks like the only known solution for
> >linking an application to both QtWebKit and QtScript at this
> >point.
>
> If you want to try out building shared Qt, the following patch seems
> to work well on the development branch:
> [...]

Although this is a nice and simple way to get a running
shared Qt, this will produce quite big DLL files.

This is because all DLLs will contain all (statically
linked) helper libraries. I don't know how much of a
problem this is for Qt. But I guess the only "clean"
solution is to build everything as a shared library,
not just Qt.

Which leads us back to a recurring issue of static vs
shared: Once I implemented our multi-target approach,
does it make sense to apply this to static/shared, i.e.
treating the "mainly-static" and "mainly-shared"
approaches as two separate targets?

Greets,