[Mingw-cross-env-list] dll hell vs lib dependency hell

From: Lothar May
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] dll hell vs lib dependency hell
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:23:22 +0100

Hi,

I know this issue has been thoroughly discussed already, but I would
like to bring it up again. I just updated to the latest development
release, and had to add 4 more dependencies in order to make PokerTH
link (libssh2, libnettle, libgmp, libhogweed). If it continues like
this, I'll soon be linking to half of mingw-cross-env libs :-). I mean
I'm not blaming anyone, this was obviously a change in gnutls
dependencies. But in fact I do not need gnutls, I only link to it
because I need curl, and curl may need gnutls...

To cut it short: I think dependencies will grow over time, and since
more and more deps are satisfied in mingw-cross-env, the link lists
will grow. I'm not sure whether this is the right way to go, it may
end in some none-trivial program linking like "-lmingw-cross-env"
which is the "whole lib"...

Regards,
Lothar